Tuesday, September 28, 2010

PMR – 1 week from today



In about a week from now my Form 3 students will be sitting for the Penilaian Menengah Rendah (PMR). All my best wishes and prayers go out to them and I hope I’ve given them enough to help prepare for the examination. Although it is not really that crucial for them, but PMR is important as a stepping stone for them to go into the stream of their choice in Form 4. During our days, choices were quite limited. We were just divided between the science stream and the arts stream. My year in Form 4 was the first year Accounts and Add Maths were offered in a non-science class. Later on I heard English Literature class was also offered and if I’m not mistaken, Catering as well. This is actually a good move to provide students with greater choices and variety in fields of study. With these various choices students will later be better prepared to further their studies and they also have better background knowledge of that particular field of study which they are about to take.
Back in those days, we were stuck with the stereotyped belief of the smart students going to science stream and the not-so-smart ones will enter the arts stream. Well, actually this belief is definitely wrong. I’m the living proof. I was one of those lucky ones who did quite well in PMR and thought that as my results were good, I should enter science stream. As a result, I struggled for those 2 years, I did not have any idea what Physics was all about and seriously my sweat and blood went into studying Add Maths. Hence, I somewhat neglected other subjects and my SPM results didn’t turn out that beautiful, unlike my other friends. I cried, but Allah had other plans and here I am on the path destined by Him. Sometimes it makes me wonder, what would have happened had I made a different choice? Too late for that I must say, but I treasure knowledge for what it is and I suppose my experience being in science stream was good in building character, in helping me become someone who’d persevere in whatever condition.
All this goes to show that people’s minds work in inexplicable ways, therefore they process differently, see things differently and also excel in different field. It is also important to note that examinations aren’t everything. Doing well in exams does not guarantee a bright future ahead, and vice versa. However, it is important to know that at the end of the day what’s written on your certificates, coupled with good communication and people skills – they say, soft skills, work hand in hand to help people become successful.
Speaking of examinations also, the people up there are still debating about abolishing UPSR and PMR. Not only will the children’s lives be affected but they must also consider teacher’s workload with the absence of these examinations. If I’m not mistaken, the exams will be replaced with school-based assessment, but to make this 100% is almost impossible. There are many factors to look into and they must also consider the repercussions if this move is implemented. I can’t imagine the amount of files that will have to be opened; documents that will have to be kept from year to year and the problems that will occur when students are always absent from school, change to a different school and have lost the records from previous school. The whole system will need a major revamp. I for one cannot imagine how this will be done.
Furthermore, as much as we do not want to segregate students according to their intelligence, some kind of categorization is important to help teachers understand students’ ability and needs. At least with UPSR for example, I know the needs of students in 1 Bestari as compared to 1 Harmoni. I would know what I could and should teach based on their English result in UPSR. If it will only be based on oral assessment or folios, for example, how would I know if the students weren’t coached, guided or in fact helped by their teachers or parents? What if they copied and altered someone else’s work? And what if the teachers themselves could be biased to certain students? How accurate are these assessments as compared to the current examination we have?
Honestly, I think what we have now is good enough. Why don’t we just concentrate on improving the system rather than changing the system. Textbooks for one, are extremely boring and not quite updated. Schools also, should be better equipped and need better maintenance. That should be improved first! Let’s not make this another PPSMI tragic case. Implement first then debate and then revert back to the old style. It’s the children’s future we’re talking about.
*Pics source: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment