Saturday, September 11, 2010

my take on LEARNING


I used to, like many people, believe that one is only considered smart if one excels in Math and Science. The latter was a subject I enjoyed very much in school but unfortunately did not and has not mastered and the previous is a subject which I once struggled with, tried in vain to like and also cried my eyeballs out every time I got my examination results. NO KIDDING! My parents, like many other parents were worried and that made me feel like a disappointment to them. I just could not put sense into Math, what more like it. In primary school I went to tuition classes which only helped a little and was mostly taught by my dad. I cried almost every session. The end result was me feeling more frustrated and stupid - why was I not good at math? The common belief of kids who are good at logical thinking are whiz kids was so overrated it made me feel like I had no future in life if I didn't get A for Math. What most people failed to realise was, there's more to intelligence than being good in Math and Science subjects. Heard of Howard Gardner's theory on multiple intelligences? No? Well, people are unique in their own ways. Hence their thought processes and inclination also differ. Some people are more linguistically inclined than the rest (I'd like to believe I am). They learn language better and can express themselves linguistically effectively. Like when I learn English I just simply could see the structure and how it is different or similar to my mother tongue - Malay! There are also people who have good interpersonal skills. They can talk to anyone, mix with people well and are more tolerant to the idiosyncrasies in people. These bunch of people are usually recognisable for their many and diverse group of friends. Next, there's also musical intelligence and bodily-kinesthetic intelligence. The previous refers to those good in music (I'd like to believe that I am too). Some people can listen to music and recognise the tone, rhythm, key and pitch without being taught. Something I'd like to boast here - I usually can remember a song after only 3 times listening to it. Years and years of doing my own bathroom show has enhanced this talent. The latter, which is bodily-kinesthetic intelligence refers to people with good body movements and understands movements well - this explains why some people are more graceful or 'kayu' from others. My team mate while I was doing drama in UPM was so kayu I just didn't know what else to do to help him. It's just like me and Math/Physics - a bad combination. There are many more actually. Here I'd like to share an illustration of this theory. It's pretty easy to understand. Just Google and read up if you're interested to find out more. So, let me wrap up this entry with this statement. I may not be good at Math and the Sciences but I sure was and am not stupid. I think I'm good at what I do now, which is teaching English and I am also still learning. But I suppose I will someday fall into the category of conventional parents who worries about my child's grades, the difference is I won't go crazy about it because I realise learning is something you do all the time and it's best with the right kind and amount of exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment