Monday, August 30, 2010

Let's go to KL






Yeah, baby!!! Form 1 is over and done with. I would say that they did okay considering their level of proficiency. So after Raya holidays, InsyaAllah I shall proceed with my reading project with those kids. Speaking of Raya, I simply can’t wait for this week to be over so I can enjoy my time preparing for Raya and then enjoying the holiday with my loved ones. Yeay!!! I just took a few pictures from Hamidah from Form 6 school trip to Kuala Lumpur which is something I’ve been meaning to write about for it is something I’m quite proud of. Being in charge of school academic trip wasn’t easy. There are numerous procedures and not to mention letters that need to be sent to various people for permission and notification and requests and what have you. After that the process that I really dread is the numerous follow up calls that I have to make to ask if they have received the letter from my school. When it comes to this, I must say I’m truly grateful for the God-given flair of speaking to people and asking favours I’m gifted with. LOL! Here are the procedures should you want to organize a school trip to anywhere. First, decide on the place(s) and the date(s) of your trip. For this reason I actually went to the places, except for Parlimen Malaysia to meet with them face to face and ask if they’d have us at their place. I went to two faculties in UiTM; Arts and Design and Sports Science and Recreation. I spoke to the people there and they asked me to write to them. I also went to check out Les’Copaque because I thought it’d be interesting, however they are fully booked until Raya – pretty cool, huh? So I had to cancel that. Once I got back to school I started typing letters to UiTM and also finished the proposal to be sent to JPN. After all was done, I went to see my boss and asked for his approval and signature. He looked through everything and was pretty impressed by them. Next, they’re signed, sealed and delivered to the respective places. Then comes the wait, while waiting for replies I made several calls to those people to ask and remind them about the reply letters. At the same time, I asked Cikgu Rohaimi to help me contact the buses and Cikgu Rashid to help with the letters to parents/guardian and collect money from students. Actually all these happened at the same time and it was quite heavy for me to shoulder as I also have lessons to plan and students to teach. It was simply EXHAUSTING! So many times I typed and retyped students’ name list and tried to get confirmation from so many people, I felt I was getting thinner. LOL! Finally, after all was done including some unforeseen circumstances settled and a few problems resolved, the day arrived. I was really happy my BFF in school was invited and able to join us. First stop was Parlimen Malaysia. We got there at 9.45 and after showing the letter and going through security check – standard procedure, we were led into the building. It was my first time in there. A glimpse in such an important building in Malaysia was an eye-opener, even for a 25 year old like me. My students were excited too. We went to see Dewan Negara and later visited Dewan Rakyat. We got the opportunity to watch Shahrizat in Dewan Negara. Our next destination after Parlimen was UiTM but we had to stop for lunch first. The bus driver suggested Kraftangan Malaysia. We went there and by coincidence there was a Wedding Fair there. For those of you who are close to me, you guys would know that this brought sparkle to my eyes. Even though I’m nowhere near a wedding, or even a boyfriend for that matter but I just love weddings. Besides, who knows if my luck on love might change! Getting back on track, once our tummies were filled with good and inexpensive food we made our way to UiTM. We went separately according to which faculty we were going to. I was with A&D. Upon arrival we were greeted by the students who were in charge of entertaining us. A bit of refreshments were prepared for us. We had a bit of that and we were brought to the workshops available there. It was quite tiring as the workshops were scattered in a few blocks. It was also quite difficult to focus as we were moving in a large group to the small workshops. I thought it would have been better if we moved in smaller groups and each group was led by one person. At least students could really see and appreciate the artworks displayed in each workshop. The best part was the gallery. The walkway to the gallery which I thought was the connecting bridge, was decorated with pictures from the happenings at the faculty. UiTM's A&D faculty is something to be proud of. The faculty is renowned for its achievements in various fields of arts. Many well-known and even internationally recognized fashion designers were students from UiTM. I hope this visit was inspiring for the students, especially to those who are still quite clueless about their path in this stream. By the time we finished our tour, it's already evening, after that we went to Shah Alam Mosque for prayers and since it was already late we had to cancel our shopping activity. We were supposed to reach school before midnight, therefore any places that would delay our arrival had to be skipped. The students were a bit disappointed because we didn't visit KLCC - never mind kids, there's always next year. I'll do it again, perhaps a longer stay in KL would be more fun to them

No comments:

Post a Comment