Monday, December 6, 2010

The Kampung Hospitality

I am writing this in a beautiful kampong house in Chenor, accompanied by a symphony of crickets humming a melodious tune, amidst an abundance of fresh greenery, with such tranquillity and peace. I am writing this entry in my friend’s humble nonetheless beautiful and definitely spacious home. I am writing in sheer admiration of what is called the kampong hospitality. I refuse to substitute the word kampong with village as the word village cannot and do not capture the true meaning of the word kampong. The moment I arrived, my friend’s mother greeted me with such warmth and humbleness by apologizing for she is unable to help me carry my luggage. Well, that’s the least of my problem, makcik. Your kindness to let me stay at your house for the next three days is more than appreciated already, no need to help carry my luggage. I am not a light traveller obviously, I kept adding things for just-in-case situations and I ended up with several bags for only a 3-days stay. We later chatted over a cup of teh tarik, crackers and my favourite; kerepek pisang. Jumping from one topic to another I already felt close to this makcik. Her words were so well put together, coupled with the Pahang dialect I felt so at home being here. Although home in Subang Jaya, Selangor is by far different from here, but honestly she really made me feel like I am at my own grandma’s house in kampong. Since both my grandmas are residing in KL now with their children, I haven’t been going back to kampong for quite sometime. But God has his ways of allowing me to remember and appreciate the feeling of being in kampong by sending me here, in Chenor. I am grateful that each time I need any kind of help from the people here they are more than happy to offer a helping hand. There’s nothing I could do to repay their kindness, as they wouldn’t take or ask anything. Besides, it does feel odd to give money out of the blue. So, since I’ve been here it’s become a habit of mine to give presents before Hari Raya to all the people here who have welcomed me to their homes, fed me well during my stay and treated me with such warmth and friendliness like I’m their family. It’s something I’ve learnt to genuinely appreciate. I pray that all these people are granted health, wealth and heaps of happiness in life, with God’s blessings and grace in everything they do. Amin. Thank you, makciks and pakciks, and of course all my wonderful friends here. I *heart* you all.

Footnote: I can wear kain batik without any problem of it slipping and falling. That’s one plus point!

No comments:

Post a Comment