Saturday, July 31, 2010

He Had Such Quiet Eyes


I taught this poem to Four Bestari a few weeks back and while explaining about the poem I felt like it was a reminder for myself as well. I was reminding the students as well as myself about how not to drift away when one is in love. The poem is about how a woman was charmed and lured into loving a man who only gave her false hope and in the end she only has regrets and disappointment over the fate that befell her. As I was explaining, I stepped into my 21 year old self who did fall in love with someone and who was later heart-broken because of that someone. Although it took many years to recover, but I don't want to teach my students to be regretful for any past mistakes, or resent themselves for any wrong doings. What I'd like them to be is someone with self-worth, who knows what they deserve, allow themselves to make some mistakes knowing that no one is perfect but at the same time take life with a lot of care and think of the consequences of any foolish actions. I do not encourage boy-girl relationships in school, nor do I propose that students should not get into boy-girl relationships at all - I've had my share of crushes and puppy love, it's only natural to develop some kind of interest in the opposite sex but this has to be handled wisely before the unwanted circumstance happens. The whole objective, as I see it, is to raise the issue of sexual promiscuity which is rampant among teenagers today. I did broach this topic and did my responsibility as an adult and as a teacher to remind them about their responsibilities as a Muslim, a child and a student. Whatever it is, I hope I delivered the message clearly which is no human is free from err, and Allah always accepts taubat. The most important is to make that step to improve oneself. I hope and pray that all my students will be good and responsible people in the future. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment